Photo credit: Tracy Wright.
This year’s 1000 Smiles stats:
- 15,000 Jamaicans were served through all programs
- $1.77 million USD in services were provided
Free dental clinics:
- 13 clinics were set up in rural schools and churches
- 4,301 patients received 7,930 vital procedures
- Procedures included extractions, fillings, cleanings, and sealants
Oral health education:
- 74 schools benefited from education program
- 10, 150 students received free and fun education sessions
- 11,000 toothbrushes were distributed to children, along with toothpaste and floss when available
“Most of all I want to thank the 225 world changers. Despite a global recession, they acted on their belief that right now, it is more important than ever to be a part of the solution. Words cannot even capture the sweet smile of joy on the face of the young girl who looks in the mirror to see her teeth magically transformed to pearly white. This moment is exactly why we come. It is exactly why we care.”
-Joseph Wright, Executive Director, Great Shape! Inc.