Decorating cookies and making gingerbread houses are some of our favorite things to do during the holiday seasons here in the U.S.
Sweet potato pone is a Jamaican dessert, and a holiday tradition.
Jamaicans.com shares a delicious recipe with us. Many confuse sweet potato pone with sweet potato pudding. Even though they use similar ingredients pone is harder and usually contains no raisins. Many call it a harder version of “hell a top and hell a bottom and heaven in the middle”. It is a dessert favorite after Sunday dinner.
- 1 ½ cup pounds sweet potato
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- Wash and pare off the skin of the potatoes
- Wash again then grate
- Grate coconut, add water and squeeze juice through a strainer or use canned coconut milk
- Blend flour, mixed spice, salt, and nutmeg.
- Combine this mixture with the grated potatoes and mix well
- Add sugar and coconut milk. Mix well. Taste for sweetness
- Grease pan, pour in batter, bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes or until done.